Rethinking Vinyl Plank Flooring
Design Ideas | May 23, 2014
Vinyl flooring has been around for a long time but over time it has evolved to become a premium product that offers significant advantages over other flooring options – particular hardwood products. This article explores the 7 main reasons why experts consider vinyl plank flooring, a great flooring alternative that is sure to fit every décor style and budget.
1. Available in exquisite styles and countless colour options: Vinyl plank flooring is available in a huge assortment of colours, textures and patterns many of which are manufactured by companies that have been incredibly successful at mimicking the high-end look and rich warmth of natural hardwood. This comes in response to the ever increasing demand for flooring products that can provide realistic visuals (e.g. knots and authentic grains) of the very same materials in nature that inspired them.
2. Completely waterproof: One of the biggest advantages of vinyl plank flooring is that it is completely waterproof, making this the perfect material for kitchen, bathroom, laundry room and basement installations where moisture –or regular spills- can be a problem.
3. Durable and easy to maintain: Vinyl plank flooring is widely known for being one of the toughest and most durable flooring types out there. Vinyl planks are designed to endure all kinds of everyday wear while retaining its stylish look and quality appearance. Vinyl plank flooring is constructed in layers: 1. A top wear layer (scratch-resistant), 2. A printed vinyl décor layer, 3. A moisture resistant inner core layer and 4. A backing layer. When shopping for vinyl plank flooring, make sure to ask about the thickness of the top wear layer, as this will dictate how well your floors will behave under heavier and tougher traffic conditions. A thicker wear layer (preferably with an aluminium oxide coating) will keep your floors looking brand new for 20 years or more.
4. Remarkably soft and comfortable: Vinyl planks do not get cold during the winter months and they generally feel much softer beneath your feet than tile or hardwood flooring. The padded layer results in the floor having a little more flexibility and give which contributes to creating a more pleasurable experience when roaming around the house barefoot or when standing on your floors for long periods of time.
5. Easy to install: Vinyl plank flooring is perfect for anyone looking for a quick and effortless upgrade to their floors. In fact, it is one of the few flooring types that can be installed directly over the sub floor or a previous vinyl flooring installation. Having said that, keep in mind that installation methods will vary depending on the type of vinyl plank flooring that you choose. Most products are available for glue-down installation requiring a special adhesive rated for vinyl plank flooring use. Others can simply be “floated” over the sub floor with no adhesive required except for maybe some tape used around the edges or under the seams. Whichever installation system you choose, make sure to begin your new vinyl plank flooring installation with a dry and properly levelled sub floor. While it is possible for any DIYer to tackle this project himself, we strongly recommend to have a professional involved in the sub floor preparation in order to prevent problems -such as squeaking floors and gaping issues- somewhere down the road.
6. Green attributes: Vinyl plank flooring from reputable manufacturers are constructed with as much as 50% recycled content and are also fully recyclable. Certain brands are also certified for low VOC.
7. Affordable: Vinyl plank flooring is very popular among home-owners mostly because it offers great value for your money.
For more information, please visit the SPECIALTY flooring section on our website and contact us to request a sample or a quote for the vinyl plank flooring style of your choice.